The VP of Finance & Administration (VP) will manage and have direct oversight of the finance & accounting department, procurement and purchasing, inventory, fleet, and facility. The VP will have the overall responsibility for the management of financial operations for the Authority and its instrumentalities. In totality, the VP will be responsible for an operating and program budget in excess of $100 million per fiscal year. Reporting to Chief Operating Officer, the VP establishes and maintains appropriate financial controls and accountabilities to ensure fiscal integrity and cost-efficient operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Comprehensive financial management of the Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) and its instrumentalities including, but not limited to all financial and accounting department personnel, and all transactional tasks.
- Establish and maintain financial reporting systems for all operating departments and programs as needed to meet the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), CMHA Board of Commissioners, external stakeholders and CMHA management requirements.
- Prepare full disclosure governmental enterprise financial statements including statement of net assets, statement of activities, statement of cash flow and notes to financial statements and ensures audit standards are met.
- Direct the creation and continual update of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and policies which will ensure the fiscal integrity of the Authority.
- Establish, monitor, and maintain an effective system of internal controls.
- Recommend both short term and long-term financial plans.
- Direct the preparation of and monitor the performance of all budgets for the Authority, monitor spending levels, ensure accurate reporting of actual expenditure against budgets.
- Assist in creating, applying for, and managing real estate development financing plans, modeling, proformas where necessary and requested by Development department.
- Responsible for Authority-wide and related instrumentalities cash management and reporting.
- Maintain and monitor all treasury functions.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance and timely reporting of Authority-wide and related instrumentalities general ledger and reconciliation.
- Manage and lead direct and indirect staff and departments.
- Interface and work with other departments to reach strategic and annual agency goals.
- Direct oversight and responsibility for finance department’s role in setting up all necessary accounting systems, general ledgers, and entries for new properties and entities created, as well as establishing/updating any required policies and SOPs.
- Ensure CMHA and its instrumentalities comply with all financial rules and regulations mandated by funders and stakeholders.
- Direct management of Procurement department and services, awarding HUD or funder compliant agreements and contracts, presenting, and updating BOC when required by CEO.
- Management of purchasing goods and services for authority-wide and related entities.
- Direct oversight of authority-wide and related entities inventory/warehouses, fleet, and Campus facility.
- Ensure that financial, procurement, purchasing, fleet and facility operations are in compliance with all rules, guidelines, regulations and contractual requirements including, but not limited to, payment agreements, reporting requirements and collective bargaining agreements.
- Responsible for hiring qualified and quality candidates in conjunction with Human Resources for all positions within the area of responsibility. Ensure all employee performance evaluations are conducted timely.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Professional demeanor with strong financial integrity.
- Excellent customer service skills and attention to detail.
- Team player demonstrating patience, persistence, and leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrated success in high paced environment.
- Extensive experience in preparing financial projections, pro forma and related analysis.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and demonstrated experience working with budgeting concepts.
- Demonstrated experience, comfort, and skill in organizing and presenting financial and operational information in understandable format.
- Demonstrated experience working with financial software applications and Microsoft products such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- Experience in public sector, public housing, and/or affordable housing industry.
- Work with private entities in real estate, development partnerships and/or construction.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work with various financing tools relating to Housing Authority development and operations such as Low Income Housing Tax Credits, financial institution financing (conventional and affordable housing loans), HUD grants and programs, and other public and private sources of funding.
- Demonstrated history of successful interaction and involvement with community-based organizations involving persons of low income.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s in accounting, finance, or related degree with emphasis in finance/accounting.
- Master’s in Business Administration with emphasis in finance/accounting, or equivalent combination of education and substantial relevant experience beyond the minimum.
- Previous public sector/government accounting experience required.
- Previous Public Housing Authority (PHA) accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Over ten years of demonstrated experience of widespread responsibility to include, but not limited to, financial reporting, overall financial department management and fiscal and internal controls in a complex organization(s) (in excess of $100 million in annual operating budget)
- Over six years of experience managing a large professional accounting and/or operational staff.