Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Director of Housing Choice Voucher Programs oversees the authority’s Housing Choice Voucher Program which includes Section 8 – Vouchers, Project Based Vouchers, Occupancy Intake Department, HQS Inspections Department, and Housing Choice Program Administrative functions. Occasionally the Director of Housing Choice Voucher Programs may serve on HACP’s Executive Committee Team which is made up of 11 members.
The Director is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations of occupancy intake from clients and residents, overseeing the voucher program, and county related port-ins, landlord relationships that ensure the inspections process operates effectively, and the administrative personnel team that supports the department needs.
The department has been challenged in gaining the confidence of clients due to delays in processing, lost paperwork, and less than satisfactory customer service delivery. The members overall are all satisfactory in their performance. There is a need for structured leadership, understanding of strategic and performance management, and coaching for success. The position requires the person to be visible on the floor, a coach and mentor regularly reviewing data reports, and taking appropriate actions to prevent negative outcomes
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Overall responsibility for managing the Section 8/HCVP Department.
- Review government regulations and establish management policies and procedures to assure compliance.
- Prepare departmental budget.
- Responsible for preparation of reports and documents related to programs.
- Ensures that HACP files all necessary reports and other documents required by Federal laws and Federal regulations, any and all other HUD documents and or reports and other documents governing public housing authorities and the HCV and public housing programs.
- Participates in long range planning in area of responsibility.
- Oversee contracts with private landlords and resolve problems.
- Responsible for the supervision and oversight of the process for the selection and annual review of families participating in HACP’s HCV and or public housing program, consistent with applicable federal program requirements, and the policies and processes set forth in HACP’s Administrative Plan, Admissions and Continued Occupancy Program.
- Conduct surveys and analysis necessary to assure effective and efficient operation programs Ensure that HUD regulations, Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity laws, and the HACP policies and procedures are followed.
- Represent HACP at meetings with external partners and special interest groups. Provide educational presentations to facilitate inter agency understanding and promote the Authority’s programs.
- Establish and maintain a strong and collaborative relationship with other HACP departments and with management of public and private agencies that support our clientele.
Education, Experience and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, or an equivalent amount of training/experience.
- Ten or more years of increasingly responsible experience in a position related to Section 8/HCVP management and assisted housing.
- Five years of experience in a responsible management position, with supervisory responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a multifaceted transaction.
- Must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and be insurable under the Authority’s plan.
- Must be a resident of the City of Pittsburgh