The Chief Operating Officer is responsible to the Executive Director for high-level leadership, management, oversight, and control of complex housing and development programs, services, and activities, including keeping abreast of all statutory and regulatory provisions, strategic planning, and financial management affecting the operations of the program.
Essential Role and Responsibilities
- Manage day-to-day operations of the agency.
- Provide leadership and direction to the agency’s Directors to implement the agency’s strategic plan and the programs funded through the agency budget.
- Assist in the development of MDHA’s strategy plan.
- Provide programmatic leadership to implement processes and approaches for the achievement of the agency’s strategic goals.
- Develop systems for implementing, tracking, measuring, and reporting on the progress of agency tasks and strategic plan implementation.
- Provide effective leadership by actively participating in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs.
- Evaluate the agency’s structure, processes, and functions to ensure maximum growth, development, and performance.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance senior management team, emphasizing developing capacity in strategic analysis, planning, and program budgeting.
- Effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce that ensures the organization runs smoothly.
- Work with department directors to improve operations, program development, and management.
- Develop and foster effective collaboration between the departments of the agency.
- Manage and cultivate relationships with partnering organizations.
- Publicly represent the agency with external constituency groups, including community, government, and private organizations.
- Provide annual financial oversight, including assistance with annual budget development, operations financial management, and creation of financial processes to improve annual agency performance, in coordination with the Director of Finance.
- Communicate concerns and potential problems to the Executive Director.
- The Executive Director’s delegated approval and direct contracts, financial commitments, personnel assignments, and hiring.
- Other duties as directed by the Executive Director.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to plan and provide leadership in the execution of complex projects; ability to effectively solve problems and conflicts; ability to delegate and manage multiple operation effectively; flexible and able to deal with changing priority and deadlines; strong decision making, analytical, communications and project management skills, strong interpersonal skills, ability to analyze complex regulations, documents and issues and ability to work with a diverse group of residents, partners and staff.
- Ability to integrate and coordinate the diverse activities and functions of the agency; knowledge of the programs including the principles and practices of housing and development; knowledge of current trends and emerging problems in the field of housing and development; knowledge of the principles and practices of organization management and ability to apply them; ability to gain and maintain the confidence of an appointed board, government officials, and the public; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; knowledge of Federal and State housing programs, statutes, rules, regulations and policies; comprehensive working knowledge of the principles and practices of organizational planning, financing, management, and budgeting; demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning purpose; ability to use creativity and innovation to resolve problems and create plans.
- Willingness, mental and physical ability to perform the duties involved in this classification, ability to perform work with or without an accommodation that requires sitting, standing, and walking, dexterity of hands and clarity of vision, speech and hearing and powers of observation, other physical duties as required.
- Knowledge and ability to manage the financing of programs and department operations.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Real Estate, or a related area plus six (6) years of experience in analyzing and managing federal housing and development programs.